My husband and I give ourselves about 2.5% of our income every month to just use for fun. Fun money keeps us from over-analyzing doing or buying the things that we occasionally splurge on. For my hubby, that’s usually game related in some way. Here is what I do with fun money:
Fun Money Ideas
- Travel – I generally save up my fun money and travel to see friends or family in other states. A $300 trip here and there can be covered 1-2 times a year. I’ve visited California twice and Utah once so far.
- Charity – I use my fun money for my personal donations and to cover the expenses for going out with my Little Bro from Big Brothers Big Sisters.
- Gambling – I enjoy bingo once in a while. My husband and I used to play online poker at places like www.888casino.com/blackjack, but now we occasionally visit real casinos in Louisiana or Las Vegas. And I do spend $50 or so a year on the state and national lotteries.
- DVD’s – I only buy my absolute favorite movies.
- Yard ornaments – I have a thing about funny yard gnomes and stuff like that. For example, I do have the one below that hides behind a bush, so you can just see him when you are taking the path to the front door. I also have the other one below that stalks a big worm figurine. I move them around when I get bored.